Thursday, September 23, 2010

Novel 1

Novel: The Last Days of the Romanovs: Tragedy at Ekaterinburg
Author: Helen Rappaport

This novel is a recount that has been composed from numerous documented resources of the last fourteen days of the Romanov imperial family before they were brutally killed by the Bolshevik Revolution. Both sides of the tragedy are played upon, the Tsar's family life in those last days as well as the political uprising which was taking place in Ekaterinburg(where the imperial family was murdered). This book is written almost as if it were a cutting edge documentary. Somehow the knowledge comes across and is retained but it is not presented in a dull manner. I am only about two chapter's into this novel and already am having some difficulty. Not with the material, or politics but instead with the language. All of the names are of coarse in Russian, a language that I am in no way familiar with, so trying to pronounce the names in my head as I am reading has been a challenge. To remedy this problem I hope that the documentary I will soon watch will enlighten the Russian language a little bit for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment